[Academic-discuss] Cocoa Puffs and Research Credibility

Pam Estes Brewer brewer_pe at mercer.edu
Wed Jan 28 16:44:45 UTC 2015

Hi All-

A colleague just shared this with me, and I found it fascinating.  A Harvard MD wrote a gibberish article to research a less credible side of the journal publishing industry.  His article was accepted by 17 journals.  It follows the standard format of a researched article, but the content is gibberish.  His research highlights the challenge of identifying credible sources and some effects on non-experts and experts alike.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3041493/body-week/why-a-fake-article-cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs-was-accepted-by-17-medical-journals

Pam Estes Brewer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Technical Communication
Mercer University School of Engineering
U.S. 478.301.4146
Brewer_pe at mercer.edu<mailto:Brewer_pe at mercer.edu>

Manager, STC Academic SIG