[Academic-discuss] new to Academic SIG - question

Dufresne, Michael mdufresne at devry.edu
Sun Jul 15 22:15:06 UTC 2018

Paula, just as a tech writer sees different styles/languages/forms/genres when moving from manufacturing to financial to medical clients, you are realizing that the world of education has its own approaches to communication that are arguably both highly refined and significantly flawed.

Academic writing has roots of tradition centuries deep. As I prepare for my comprehensive exams in writing and rhetoric, I have realized how slowly this tree moves. As in Lord of the Rings, the trees in the tangled Forest of Academia are enduring and powerful but hard to shift. Composition and communication faculty, like tech writers, have struggled for half a century to establish a foothold of respect and acceptance within the ivied halls despite the essentiality of communication skills in all aspects of our research, all levels of our teaching and all individual's personal endeavors.

I suspect that too few academics or even K-12 teachers have taken more than the required first year composition and grad school research methodology courses. Writing across the curriculum exposes students to somewhat diverse discourse communities, but it too often reinforces only the sterile academic writing you have found. Having experienced nothing else, students-cum-educators simply follow the models of successful predecessors in their own quest for sunlight in the publish-or-perish jungle.

While you will find many articles in professional English journals remain impenetrable, I encourage you to explore the fresh air on the outskirts of Academia. Check out Technical Communication (the scholarly journal of the Society for Technical Communication) and Kairos, an entirely online and appropriately modern journal.

Saul Carliner's "The Three Approaches to Professionalization in Technical Communication" (Technical Communication Online, 59.1, 2012) might help you to see that you are not alone in feeling undervalued and unwelcome as a member of the knowledge-generation team.

While you may feel yourself a farmer trying to encroach on the dark and mysterious depths of academic writing, know that your nurturing, pruning and removing of undergrowth will not go unnoticed. You will eventually be accepted as an essential caretaker who will clear a path of light and air that welcomes all into the forest's richness.

Write on!

Michael Dufresne | Assistant Dean of Academic Excellence, Tinley Park/Merrillville

P 708.342.3747[cid:c93bf680-1038-4925-9abc-fc1a88f2180d] | M 630.486.7548| E mdufresne at devry.edu

18624 West Creek Drive, Tinley Park, IL 60477 | devry.edu<http://devry.edu/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D31FEB.A3A4AB90]