[Academic-discuss] new to Academic SIG - question

Debbie Hemstreet D_Hemstreet at rambam.health.gov.il
Mon Jul 16 09:05:33 UTC 2018

Hi Paula,

I think your perceptions are spot on! Having said that, some people do make the effort to communicate clearly. Just this morning, I sat with a doctor on his paper and pointed out something that I said, "after reading, I have an idea of what you mean, but this very badly expressed." He replied, "Well, that is how they say it in the literature."

I responded, "And is it clear to you?"

"Well, not really. I had to study it a lot. But I'm writing to that audience."

I hit him with the punch line, "And what about doctors who are new to the field, who speak English as a second language? Don't you want them to understand? Just because everyone else writes that way doesn't mean you have to."

His face lit up. "You are right!" And so he is rewriting the text.

So I want to encourage you. A lot of time it is how we approach people with the changes we believe are important.

As far as good examples, check out some of the papers published in Rambam Maimonides Medical Journal. No, I did not redo every single paper, but our Editor-in-Chief has asked me to do a lot of work on a lot of these papers, to ensure clarity for our international audience. I have rewritten papers and redone graphics, and only received a complaint ONCE from an author (his dignity could not handle the idea that he was a poor communicator, though he accepted ALL my changes in the end :) )

In Academia, passive is indeed more acceptable. But it has to be done well. There isn't a lot of room for the active voice when you are writing a research paper or a review… but the sentences can be made shorter. Concepts can be clearly explained. Information must still be well organized, and language can be simplified (where possible – sometimes it’s a real challenge though), to make an academic paper clear and meet acceptable standards.

I hope these thoughts are encouraging and helpful to you and others.

Debbie
דבורה

Deborah Hemstreet
English Editor and Writer to the Administration
Editorial Assistant, Rambam Maimonides Med J
Rambam Health Care Campus
T: +972-04-777-1285  |  M: +972-050-206-1273 | F: +972-04-777-2657