[Academic-discuss] Posting to list

Carol Luttrell luttrell at udel.edu
Fri Jul 17 15:14:29 UTC 2020

My experience with teaching undergraduate technical writing COVID-19 is as
follows:

   1. In-class faculty had ten days to learn one Learning Management System
   and Zoom, as all classes were taught online.  We also had to adapt our
   curriculum to the new format.  Labs were a challenge (I did not have a lab).
   2. Student attendance at online classes was 2/3 of in-class attendance.
   The faculty attributed this to difficult student living situations since
   the campus was closed with only ten days' notice.
   3. Lectures took only 2/3 of the time normally allotted for in-class
   teaching.
   4. Student participation in class was very poor.  I tried to stimulate
   discussion, but with little effect.
   5. Students did very well keeping up with assignments and did good
   work.  There was not a noticeable difference in the quality of work for
   online vs. in-class work.
   6. I did not notice any cheating on quizzes.
   7. We had weekly Zoom faculty meetings to discuss the situation and
   offer support and suggestions to other faculty members.