[Idl-discuss] Should I use Wordpress.com or Wordpress.org and install WordPress for the website?

Gregg Hardin gregg.hardin at gmail.com
Fri May 1 01:07:06 UTC 2015

I am doing something which is greatly slowing me down on learning WordPress.
I have been trying, somewhat unsuccessfully, to install WordPress from the
Wordpress.org website. Installation seems very difficult for me. I have the
resources telling me how to do it, but to be honest I haven't been able to
and it is slowing me down. I have volunteered my time to help a non-profit
with their website which is also in WordPress, which they want me to know. I
could download the kindle book, suggested by Ann L. Wiley, WordPress In
Depth, but am trying to cut my expenses a little. I tried finding the book
at the library and they don't have it. I would really like to learn Word
Press for my new job and for helping develop the website for the STC, but so
far, haven't hit the ground running, so to speak.

Has anybody else had problems with WordPress, i.e. learning how to install
and use it? I have looked at videos sent me via a colleague that just
confused me. I have thought of youtube videos and Lynda.com, but the quality
of youtube and the cost of Lynda might deter me from learning this.  I
really feel like I am grasping at straws here.

--Gregg Hardin