[Idl-discuss] Installing WordPress to work on it remotely

Johnson, Nancy W Nancy.W.Johnson at boeing.com
Fri May 1 16:39:56 UTC 2015

Hi Greg,

I think I know why you're confused.
WordPress is meant to be installed on a domain with a hosting account (usually a 1-click operation if they have C-Panel available for you) where you login and work on it online.
Because WordPress is compiled from PHP files and a SQL database, it can only be installed on your own machine IF you have it set up as a server by installing MAMP (Mac) or WAMP (Windows) or LAMP (Linux). If you're not a developer/programmer, that can be kind of tricky, but if you really, really want to do that (I never have), here's a page with some good directions: http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dgb/courses/pwd/amp.html.

However, I have found a free and portable solution to making your WINDOWS machine act as a server (sorry, not for Macs).
I downloaded and installed Instant WordPress on a thumb drive and use that to practice on and I'm going to use this for my beginning students that don't have their own websites yet.

Find it here: http://www.instantwp.com/

WordPress is already installed on it, but it will probably need to be updated to the latest version. Don't worry, they have great documentation. :-)
After you get started with it, add your theme and any plugins you want to work with. Then you can even work on it offline. Pretty sweet.

Here's their FAQ: http://www.instantwp.com/documentation/faq/

(Disclaimer: I am not an affiliate...because its freeware!)

Hope that helps,
Nancy
nancywestjohnson at gmail.com

Message: 1