[Idl-discuss] Your students can be published before graduating!

Sylvia Miller sylviaamiller at woh.rr.com
Sun Oct 20 21:58:59 UTC 2019

Hi friends,

Please pass this along to peers, colleagues, or friends in graduate or
undergrad school. IDL SIG members who are students are also eligible to
submit articles.

Greetings!

The Instructional Design & Learning (IDL) special interest group of the
Society for Technical Communication (STC <http://www.stcidlsig.org/> )
invites your graduate- and undergraduate-level students to become published
before graduating. Here are the basics of the program:

*        Undergraduate- or graduate-level students submit an original
article to us about some aspect of instructional design. If we choose to
publish it in our newsletter, IDeaL: Design for Learning, the student
receives a complimentary STC student membership, which includes a membership
in the IDL Special Interest Group (SIG).

*        With the student’s permission, once we publish the article we will
submit it to STC’s Technical Communication Body of Knowledge (TCBOK
<http://www.tcbok.org/> ). If the editors decide to include the student’s
article in the TCBOK, he or she earns an additional year’s STC/IDL
membership (or an equivalent award if they no longer qualify for student
membership because they’ve graduated).

*        Once published, students can link to their article from their
résumé and possibly from their LinkedIn profile page—ideally gaining an edge
in becoming employed after graduation.

Attached is a flier describing the program in more detail. It directs
students to http://www.stcidlsig.org/students/youcanbepublished/ to download
the entry packet for submitting an article. Kindly do the following to
inform your students of this offer:

*        Print the attached flier and post it where students will see it. It
includes an enthusiastic testimonial from a student whose published article
helped him land a new job!

*        Mention the opportunity when your class meets. Perhaps you’d even
like to incorporate this opportunity into your course curriculum. You and
your students can see examples of student articles at the URL provided
above.

*        Forward this email to students.

*        Stress the deadline of Saturday, February 22, 2020.

We hope your students will take advantage of this win-win opportunity to be
published before graduating!

Sincerely,

Student Outreach Committee

IDL SIG of STC