[Stc_presidents-discuss] Stc_presidents-discuss Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

Lori Meyer meyer.communications at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:18:03 UTC 2015


Thanks for your testimonial about STC Carolina's successful use of virtual
tools, Christina.

The STC Carolina and Rochester Chapters were the first chapters in which I
was able to participate 100% virtually. I now serve as a virtual volunteer
in five chapters, and on the council in four of them. I have been able to
attend webinars, serve on chapter councils, and support social media
efforts. I am grateful for these opportunities and I love all of it,
although I wish I could have more in-person contact with the great people I
work with.

Regards,
Lori

Lori R. Meyer
Immediate Past President, East Bay Chapter <http://ebstc.org/>
Membership Manager, Rochester <http://stc-rochester.org/> and San Diego
<http://www.stc-sd.org/> Chapters
Membership Manager, Instructional Design and Learning SIG
<http://www.stcidlsig.org/>
Director, Carolina Chapter <http://stc-carolina.org/>
Secretary, Washington DC/Baltimore Chapter <http://wdcb.stcwdc.org/>
Secretary, Instructional Design and Learning <http://www.stcidlsig.org/>
 and Technical Editing <http://stc-techedit.org/> SIGs
Social Media Volunteer, Consulting and Independent Contracting SIG
Leadership Team, STC Community Affairs Committee
meyer.communications at gmail.com
Twitter: @lrmeyer747


Lori R. Meyer
Immediate Past President, East Bay Chapter <http://ebstc.org>
Membership Manager, Rochester <http://stc-rochester.org> and San Diego
<http://www.stc-sd.org> Chapters
Membership Manager, Instructional Design and Learning SIG
<http://www.stcidlsig.org/>
Director, Carolina Chapter <http://stc-carolina.org>
Secretary, Washington DC/Baltimore Chapter <http://wdcb.stcwdc.org>
Secretary, Instructional Design and Learning
<http://www.stcidlsig.org> and Technical
Editing <http://stc-techedit.org> SIGs
Social Media Volunteer, Consulting and Independent Contracting SIG
Leadership Team, STC Community Affairs Committee
meyer.communications at gmail.com
Twitter: @lrmeyer747





On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Christina Mayr <christinaemayr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We use GoToMeeting with great success. Almost all of our monthly programs
> have a virtual option. Although the technology has a few bumps from time to
> time, by and large it's worked out well for us for the last several years.
> I don't know if we pay anything, but if we do, it's a nominal annual fee.
>
> I would love to see the other chapters implement a virtual component
> because there are SO MANY interesting programs happening at other chapters
> that I cannot attend (e.g., Northeastern Ohio's technical illustration
> program coming up, but it seems to be onsite only).
>
> Regards,
> Christina
>
> [image: photo]
> *Christina Mayr*
> Technical Writer & Editor | President, STC Carolina
> christinaemayr at gmail.com | www.stc-carolina.org
> <http://linkedin.com/in/christinaeftekhar>
> <http://twitter.com/cseftekhar>
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:14 PM, President STC-PMC <
> stcpmc.president at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ben
>>
>> We had a virtual meeting for our kick off as in-person was not possible
>> due to the team's varying schedules. I put together a very detailed agenda
>> that introduced team members, set expectations for roles for the year,
>> covered talking points on which we could make decisions that will impact
>> our work on during the year (including content covered in the CAA), and
>> covered my goals for the group for the year. I set up the meeting with
>> Adobe Connect but found that I couldn't share my screen. We ended up having
>> a blend of meeting types where I shared my screen via another tool and used
>> Adobe Connect for audio.
>>
>> My biggest issue for a virtual or combined event (in-person and webinar)
>> is having a tool that gives audio and visual access while also supporting
>> up to 12 people on a call. Free tools like Skype can't do this, and Adobe
>> Connect doesn't seem to have the features I need.
>>
>> Please let me know if I can provide further details or help in any other
>> way with this discussion.
>>
>> Jessie Mallory
>>
>>
>> Jessie Mallory
>> STC-Philadelphia Metro Chapter President
>> president at stcpmc.org
>> www.stcpmc.org
>> [image: www.stc.org] <http://www.stc.org>
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM, <
>> stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Send Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list submissions to
>>>         stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>
>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>>         http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>>         stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org
>>>
>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>>         stc_presidents-discuss-owner at mailer.stc.org
>>>
>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>>> than "Re: Contents of Stc_presidents-discuss digest..."
>>>
>>> Today's Topics:
>>>
>>>    1. Re: Program Manager Idea Sharing (President STCNE)
>>>    2. Re: Program Manager Idea Sharing (Ben Woelk)
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: President STCNE <president at stcnewengland.org>
>>> To: Michelle Despres <michelle.despres at gmail.com>
>>> Cc: "Presidents' Email List" <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>,
>>> STC SIG Managers List <stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org>
>>> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 11:23:01 -0400
>>> Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>> Hi, Michelle, and everyone.
>>>
>>> We have used Adobe Connect for the past few years to broadcast our
>>> programs as webinars.
>>>
>>> We make the speaker the presenter, so the speaker's slides are
>>> broadcast. The speaker uses a headset so Adobe Connect can broadcast the
>>> speaker's voice.
>>>
>>> This provides a minimal, kind of clumsy webinar. It only works for one
>>> speaker, not for panel discussions, because multiple headsets are a sound
>>> nightmare. Only the slides are shown, so there is no image of the speaker
>>> or the audience. The speaker's headset mic does not pick up the questions
>>> from the audience so the speaker must remember to repeat the question, or
>>> be interrupted and prodded to do so.
>>>
>>> We are looking into more sophisticated equipment that can handle
>>> multiple mics and, at least, a shot of both the speaker (or panel) and the
>>> projected slides.
>>>
>>> FYI, we charge $15.00 per webinar, and this money often makes the
>>> difference between our programs losing money and breaking even. We operate
>>> on a shoestring budget, so breaking even is a good thing.
>>>
>>> --Nancy
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Michelle Despres <
>>> michelle.despres at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hello:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> We don't really have a kick-off event. Our council had its annual
>>>> strategy meeting last week.  We discuss programs and other chapter
>>>> initiatives.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Our first chapter meeting is in September, and we're doing a networking
>>>> and peer showcase event.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Our biggest struggle this year will be finding adequate meeting
>>>> locations within a reasonable commute for members. Our new initiate is
>>>> webcasting our meetings. If anyone has had success webcasting, please let
>>>> me know.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Michelle
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *From:* Ben Woelk [mailto:ben.woelk at gmail.com]
>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:51 PM
>>>> *To:* Presidents' Email List; STC SIG Managers List
>>>> *Cc:* michelle.despres at gmail.com
>>>> *Subject:* Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I would like to connect with whoever is planning programs for your
>>>> communities with the goal of getting us to share effective practices,
>>>> innovative program ideas, and strategies for overcoming challenges we may
>>>> face.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'm working on setting up a forum/wiki, but I'd like to get the
>>>> conversations started. Please contact me at this email address or
>>>> programs at stc-rochester.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> What are you all doing for kickoff events?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
>>>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
>>>> available on Amazon Kindle.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *Connect with me on social media:*
>>>>
>>>>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>>>>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>>>>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Ben Woelk <ben.woelk at gmail.com>
>>> To: President STCNE <president at stcnewengland.org>
>>> Cc: "Presidents' Email List" <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>,
>>> Michelle Despres <michelle.despres at gmail.com>, STC SIG Managers List <
>>> stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org>
>>> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 12:23:03 -0400
>>> Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>> Our distance learning department suggested getting a Snowball mic
>>> (~$60). That's improved sound quality, and should be configurable for a
>>> small panel discussion. There are also panel mics available, but they're a
>>> bit pricier.
>>>
>>> The hybrid in-person/virtual meeting is always a little tricky and
>>> depends a lot on the location. For a speaker at an in-person meeting that's
>>> being shared virtually, I'm not sure it's an effective practice for the
>>> speaker to be wearing a headset. It may make more sense to have a
>>> facilitator wear a headset and repeat questions to the speaker. Either way,
>>> it's a good practice for speakers to repeat questions. (Frankly, it's
>>> easier if the speaker is an online participant and not in physical
>>> attendance at the meeting.)
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
>>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
>>> available on Amazon Kindle.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> *Connect with me on social media:*
>>>
>>>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>>>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>>>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*
>>>
>>>
>>> *Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM, President STCNE <
>>> president at stcnewengland.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi, Michelle, and everyone.
>>>>
>>>> We have used Adobe Connect for the past few years to broadcast our
>>>> programs as webinars.
>>>>
>>>> We make the speaker the presenter, so the speaker's slides are
>>>> broadcast. The speaker uses a headset so Adobe Connect can broadcast the
>>>> speaker's voice.
>>>>
>>>> This provides a minimal, kind of clumsy webinar. It only works for one
>>>> speaker, not for panel discussions, because multiple headsets are a sound
>>>> nightmare. Only the slides are shown, so there is no image of the speaker
>>>> or the audience. The speaker's headset mic does not pick up the questions
>>>> from the audience so the speaker must remember to repeat the question, or
>>>> be interrupted and prodded to do so.
>>>>
>>>> We are looking into more sophisticated equipment that can handle
>>>> multiple mics and, at least, a shot of both the speaker (or panel) and the
>>>> projected slides.
>>>>
>>>> FYI, we charge $15.00 per webinar, and this money often makes the
>>>> difference between our programs losing money and breaking even. We operate
>>>> on a shoestring budget, so breaking even is a good thing.
>>>>
>>>> --Nancy
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Michelle Despres <
>>>> michelle.despres at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hello:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> We don't really have a kick-off event. Our council had its annual
>>>>> strategy meeting last week.  We discuss programs and other chapter
>>>>> initiatives.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Our first chapter meeting is in September, and we're doing a
>>>>> networking and peer showcase event.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Our biggest struggle this year will be finding adequate meeting
>>>>> locations within a reasonable commute for members. Our new initiate is
>>>>> webcasting our meetings. If anyone has had success webcasting, please let
>>>>> me know.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Michelle
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> *From:* Ben Woelk [mailto:ben.woelk at gmail.com]
>>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:51 PM
>>>>> *To:* Presidents' Email List; STC SIG Managers List
>>>>> *Cc:* michelle.despres at gmail.com
>>>>> *Subject:* Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I would like to connect with whoever is planning programs for your
>>>>> communities with the goal of getting us to share effective practices,
>>>>> innovative program ideas, and strategies for overcoming challenges we may
>>>>> face.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm working on setting up a forum/wiki, but I'd like to get the
>>>>> conversations started. Please contact me at this email address or
>>>>> programs at stc-rochester.org
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> What are you all doing for kickoff events?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>>
>>>>> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe
>>>>> Online
>>>>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
>>>>> available on Amazon Kindle.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> *Connect with me on social media:*
>>>>>
>>>>>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>>>>>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>>>>>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> *Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailer.stc.org/pipermail/stc_presidents-discuss/attachments/20150813/e735ef7f/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list