[Stc_presidents-discuss] Stc_presidents-discuss Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

Ben Woelk ben.woelk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:28:22 UTC 2015


There are CAA points available for innovation.

We would be happy to participate in a virtual program. If anyone is
interested, let's discuss off list for now.
Ben

Ben Woelk, CISSP



Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
available on Amazon Kindle.



*Connect with me on social media:*

   - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
   - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
   - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*


*Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Christina Mayr <christinaemayr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Maybe we could explore a multi-chapter virtual conference where each
> participating chapter/speaker gets 15-30 minutes to present on a topic with
> broad appeal. Perhaps The Society could give us CAA points for hosting a
> "conference" this way? :-)
>
> I have a presentation I'm working on so I would happy to throw my hat in
> as a potential speaker.
>
>
> [image: photo]
> *Christina Mayr*
> Technical Writer & Editor | President, STC Carolina
> christinaemayr at gmail.com | www.stc-carolina.org
> <http://linkedin.com/in/christinaeftekhar>
> <http://twitter.com/cseftekhar>
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Ben Woelk <ben.woelk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Christina,
>> Rochester, SE Michigan, and Carolina did a shared virtual program several
>> years ago, with 20-30 minute presentations from each community. That would
>> be an interesting thing to explore.
>>
>> Looking at Techsoup.org, it looks like the current non-profit pricing is
>> $234 per year for 1 organizer and 25 attendees, and up to 100 attendees for
>> $474 per year. (Their pricing has fluctuated quite a bit. When we did the
>> joint virtual meeting, it was only $94 per year for the 100 seats. They
>> then jumped to $495.)
>>
>> AdobeConnect is available through STC.org for $100/year plus $.025/minute
>> per user for dialup. We're also exploring use of Periscope to livestream
>> meetings.
>>
>> Techsoup.org is a great source for discounted products for non profits.
>> Terry Smith (Carolina) and I had put together a signup packet a few years
>> ago, but I don't know if the process has changed.
>>
>> Ben Woelk
>> Rochester
>>
>> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>>
>>
>>
>> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
>> available on Amazon Kindle.
>>
>>
>>
>> *Connect with me on social media:*
>>
>>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*
>>
>>
>> *Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Christina Mayr <
>> christinaemayr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We use GoToMeeting with great success. Almost all of our monthly
>>> programs have a virtual option. Although the technology has a few bumps
>>> from time to time, by and large it's worked out well for us for the last
>>> several years. I don't know if we pay anything, but if we do, it's a
>>> nominal annual fee.
>>>
>>> I would love to see the other chapters implement a virtual component
>>> because there are SO MANY interesting programs happening at other chapters
>>> that I cannot attend (e.g., Northeastern Ohio's technical illustration
>>> program coming up, but it seems to be onsite only).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Christina
>>>
>>> [image: photo]
>>> *Christina Mayr*
>>> Technical Writer & Editor | President, STC Carolina
>>> christinaemayr at gmail.com | www.stc-carolina.org
>>> <http://linkedin.com/in/christinaeftekhar>
>>> <http://twitter.com/cseftekhar>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:14 PM, President STC-PMC <
>>> stcpmc.president at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Ben
>>>>
>>>> We had a virtual meeting for our kick off as in-person was not possible
>>>> due to the team's varying schedules. I put together a very detailed agenda
>>>> that introduced team members, set expectations for roles for the year,
>>>> covered talking points on which we could make decisions that will impact
>>>> our work on during the year (including content covered in the CAA), and
>>>> covered my goals for the group for the year. I set up the meeting with
>>>> Adobe Connect but found that I couldn't share my screen. We ended up having
>>>> a blend of meeting types where I shared my screen via another tool and used
>>>> Adobe Connect for audio.
>>>>
>>>> My biggest issue for a virtual or combined event (in-person and
>>>> webinar) is having a tool that gives audio and visual access while also
>>>> supporting up to 12 people on a call. Free tools like Skype can't do this,
>>>> and Adobe Connect doesn't seem to have the features I need.
>>>>
>>>> Please let me know if I can provide further details or help in any
>>>> other way with this discussion.
>>>>
>>>> Jessie Mallory
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Jessie Mallory
>>>> STC-Philadelphia Metro Chapter President
>>>> president at stcpmc.org
>>>> www.stcpmc.org
>>>> [image: www.stc.org] <http://www.stc.org>
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM, <
>>>> stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Send Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list submissions to
>>>>>         stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>>>
>>>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>>>>         http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>>>>         stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org
>>>>>
>>>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>>>>         stc_presidents-discuss-owner at mailer.stc.org
>>>>>
>>>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>>>>> than "Re: Contents of Stc_presidents-discuss digest..."
>>>>>
>>>>> Today's Topics:
>>>>>
>>>>>    1. Re: Program Manager Idea Sharing (President STCNE)
>>>>>    2. Re: Program Manager Idea Sharing (Ben Woelk)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>>> From: President STCNE <president at stcnewengland.org>
>>>>> To: Michelle Despres <michelle.despres at gmail.com>
>>>>> Cc: "Presidents' Email List" <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>,
>>>>> STC SIG Managers List <stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org>
>>>>> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 11:23:01 -0400
>>>>> Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>>>> Hi, Michelle, and everyone.
>>>>>
>>>>> We have used Adobe Connect for the past few years to broadcast our
>>>>> programs as webinars.
>>>>>
>>>>> We make the speaker the presenter, so the speaker's slides are
>>>>> broadcast. The speaker uses a headset so Adobe Connect can broadcast the
>>>>> speaker's voice.
>>>>>
>>>>> This provides a minimal, kind of clumsy webinar. It only works for one
>>>>> speaker, not for panel discussions, because multiple headsets are a sound
>>>>> nightmare. Only the slides are shown, so there is no image of the speaker
>>>>> or the audience. The speaker's headset mic does not pick up the questions
>>>>> from the audience so the speaker must remember to repeat the question, or
>>>>> be interrupted and prodded to do so.
>>>>>
>>>>> We are looking into more sophisticated equipment that can handle
>>>>> multiple mics and, at least, a shot of both the speaker (or panel) and the
>>>>> projected slides.
>>>>>
>>>>> FYI, we charge $15.00 per webinar, and this money often makes the
>>>>> difference between our programs losing money and breaking even. We operate
>>>>> on a shoestring budget, so breaking even is a good thing.
>>>>>
>>>>> --Nancy
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Michelle Despres <
>>>>> michelle.despres at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hello:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We don't really have a kick-off event. Our council had its annual
>>>>>> strategy meeting last week.  We discuss programs and other chapter
>>>>>> initiatives.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Our first chapter meeting is in September, and we're doing a
>>>>>> networking and peer showcase event.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Our biggest struggle this year will be finding adequate meeting
>>>>>> locations within a reasonable commute for members. Our new initiate is
>>>>>> webcasting our meetings. If anyone has had success webcasting, please let
>>>>>> me know.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Michelle
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *From:* Ben Woelk [mailto:ben.woelk at gmail.com]
>>>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:51 PM
>>>>>> *To:* Presidents' Email List; STC SIG Managers List
>>>>>> *Cc:* michelle.despres at gmail.com
>>>>>> *Subject:* Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I would like to connect with whoever is planning programs for your
>>>>>> communities with the goal of getting us to share effective practices,
>>>>>> innovative program ideas, and strategies for overcoming challenges we may
>>>>>> face.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'm working on setting up a forum/wiki, but I'd like to get the
>>>>>> conversations started. Please contact me at this email address or
>>>>>> programs at stc-rochester.org
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> What are you all doing for kickoff events?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe
>>>>>> Online
>>>>>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
>>>>>> available on Amazon Kindle.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *Connect with me on social media:*
>>>>>>
>>>>>>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>>>>>>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>>>>>>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>>> From: Ben Woelk <ben.woelk at gmail.com>
>>>>> To: President STCNE <president at stcnewengland.org>
>>>>> Cc: "Presidents' Email List" <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>,
>>>>> Michelle Despres <michelle.despres at gmail.com>, STC SIG Managers List <
>>>>> stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org>
>>>>> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 12:23:03 -0400
>>>>> Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>>>> Our distance learning department suggested getting a Snowball mic
>>>>> (~$60). That's improved sound quality, and should be configurable for a
>>>>> small panel discussion. There are also panel mics available, but they're a
>>>>> bit pricier.
>>>>>
>>>>> The hybrid in-person/virtual meeting is always a little tricky and
>>>>> depends a lot on the location. For a speaker at an in-person meeting that's
>>>>> being shared virtually, I'm not sure it's an effective practice for the
>>>>> speaker to be wearing a headset. It may make more sense to have a
>>>>> facilitator wear a headset and repeat questions to the speaker. Either way,
>>>>> it's a good practice for speakers to repeat questions. (Frankly, it's
>>>>> easier if the speaker is an online participant and not in physical
>>>>> attendance at the meeting.)
>>>>> Ben
>>>>>
>>>>> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe
>>>>> Online
>>>>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
>>>>> available on Amazon Kindle.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> *Connect with me on social media:*
>>>>>
>>>>>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>>>>>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>>>>>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> *Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>>>>>
>>>>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM, President STCNE <
>>>>> president at stcnewengland.org> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi, Michelle, and everyone.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We have used Adobe Connect for the past few years to broadcast our
>>>>>> programs as webinars.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We make the speaker the presenter, so the speaker's slides are
>>>>>> broadcast. The speaker uses a headset so Adobe Connect can broadcast the
>>>>>> speaker's voice.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This provides a minimal, kind of clumsy webinar. It only works for
>>>>>> one speaker, not for panel discussions, because multiple headsets are a
>>>>>> sound nightmare. Only the slides are shown, so there is no image of the
>>>>>> speaker or the audience. The speaker's headset mic does not pick up the
>>>>>> questions from the audience so the speaker must remember to repeat the
>>>>>> question, or be interrupted and prodded to do so.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We are looking into more sophisticated equipment that can handle
>>>>>> multiple mics and, at least, a shot of both the speaker (or panel) and the
>>>>>> projected slides.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> FYI, we charge $15.00 per webinar, and this money often makes the
>>>>>> difference between our programs losing money and breaking even. We operate
>>>>>> on a shoestring budget, so breaking even is a good thing.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --Nancy
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Michelle Despres <
>>>>>> michelle.despres at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hello:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> We don't really have a kick-off event. Our council had its annual
>>>>>>> strategy meeting last week.  We discuss programs and other chapter
>>>>>>> initiatives.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Our first chapter meeting is in September, and we're doing a
>>>>>>> networking and peer showcase event.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Our biggest struggle this year will be finding adequate meeting
>>>>>>> locations within a reasonable commute for members. Our new initiate is
>>>>>>> webcasting our meetings. If anyone has had success webcasting, please let
>>>>>>> me know.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Michelle
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> *From:* Ben Woelk [mailto:ben.woelk at gmail.com]
>>>>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:51 PM
>>>>>>> *To:* Presidents' Email List; STC SIG Managers List
>>>>>>> *Cc:* michelle.despres at gmail.com
>>>>>>> *Subject:* Program Manager Idea Sharing
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I would like to connect with whoever is planning programs for your
>>>>>>> communities with the goal of getting us to share effective practices,
>>>>>>> innovative program ideas, and strategies for overcoming challenges we may
>>>>>>> face.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I'm working on setting up a forum/wiki, but I'd like to get the
>>>>>>> conversations started. Please contact me at this email address or
>>>>>>> programs at stc-rochester.org
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> What are you all doing for kickoff events?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe
>>>>>>> Online
>>>>>>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
>>>>>>> available on Amazon Kindle.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> *Connect with me on social media:*
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>>>>>>>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>>>>>>>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#%21/benwoelk>*
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> *Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>>>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
>>> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
>>> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>>>
>>>
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailer.stc.org/pipermail/stc_presidents-discuss/attachments/20150813/de2fb4f5/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list