[Stc_presidents-discuss] Stc_presidents-discuss Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

President STCNE president at stcnewengland.org
Tue Aug 18 01:45:32 UTC 2015


Please add STC NE to this discussion. I think it's great for chapters to do
things collaboratively and have been thinking about ways to connect with
smaller chapters or chapters that are physically far-flung.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Stevens, Stacey E <
stacey.e.stevens at boeing.com> wrote:

> Please include the Puget Sound chapter in the discussion, as well. We are
> not yet set up for virtual meetings, but plan to start early next year.
>
> I am particularly interested in offering combined virtual meetings with
> chapters in the Pacific Time zone.
>
>
>
> *Stacey Stevens*
>
> *President*
>
> *Society for Technical Communication, Puget Sound Chapter*
>
> *Promoting effective communication*
>
>
>
> *From:* stc_presidents-discuss-bounces at mailer.stc.org [mailto:
> stc_presidents-discuss-bounces at mailer.stc.org] *On Behalf Of *
> president at stc-suncoast.org
> *Sent:* Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:34 AM
> *To:* Betsy Maaks; Ann L. Wiley Consultants Inc.
> *Cc:* Christina Mayr; Stephen Adler; Presidents' Email List
> *Subject:* Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Stc_presidents-discuss Digest,
> Vol 9, Issue 2
>
>
>
> The Suncoast chapter is holding its first combination in-person/virtual
> meeting tonight. We're using Skype tonight as it's free and will handle up
> to 25 participants at one time.
>
>
>
> We're still looking at other options so this thread has been useful to us.
>
>
>
> Please include us in this discussion going forward.
>
>
>
> Kathleen D'Adamo
>
> President, Suncoast Chapter (Tampa Bay, FL)
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Stc_presidents-discuss Digest, Vol
> 9, Issue 2
> From: Betsy Maaks <betsymaaks at att.net>
> Date: Thu, August 13, 2015 10:06 am
> To: "Ann L. Wiley Consultants Inc." <ann at annlwiley.com>
> Cc: Christina Mayr <christinaemayr at gmail.com>, Presidents' Email List
> <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>, Stephen Adler
> <president at stcpmc.org>
>
> Please add Chicago also to the discussion on virtual events.
>
>
>
> Betsy Maaks
>
> President, Chicago chapter
>
> STC Fellow
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>
> On Aug 13, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Ann L. Wiley Consultants Inc. <
> ann at annlwiley.com> wrote:
>
> Please add CNY to the discussion of collaborative virtual events.
>
>
>
> *From:* *stc_presidents-discuss-bounces at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss-bounces at mailer.stc.org> [
> *mailto:stc_presidents-discuss-bounces at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss-bounces at mailer.stc.org>] *On Behalf Of *Ben Woelk
> *Sent:* Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:28 PM
> *To:* Christina Mayr
> *Cc:* Presidents' Email List; Stephen Adler
> *Subject:* Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Stc_presidents-discuss Digest,
> Vol 9, Issue 2
>
>
>
> There are CAA points available for innovation.
>
>
>
> We would be happy to participate in a virtual program. If anyone is
> interested, let's discuss off list for now.
>
> Ben
>
>
> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>
>
> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
> available on Amazon Kindle.
>
>
>
>
>
> *Connect with me on social media:*
>
>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#!/benwoelk>*
>
>
> * Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Christina Mayr <
> *christinaemayr at gmail.com* <christinaemayr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Maybe we could explore a multi-chapter virtual conference where each
> participating chapter/speaker gets 15-30 minutes to present on a topic with
> broad appeal. Perhaps The Society could give us CAA points for hosting a
> "conference" this way? :-)
>
> I have a presentation I'm working on so I would happy to throw my hat in
> as a potential speaker.
>
>
> [image: photo]
>
> *Christina Mayr*
> Technical Writer & Editor | President, STC Carolina
>
> christinaemayr at gmail.com | www.stc-carolina.org
>
> <http://linkedin.com/in/christinaeftekhar>
> <http://twitter.com/cseftekhar>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Ben Woelk <*ben.woelk at gmail.com*
> <ben.woelk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Christina,
>
> Rochester, SE Michigan, and Carolina did a shared virtual program several
> years ago, with 20-30 minute presentations from each community. That would
> be an interesting thing to explore.
>
>
>
> Looking at *Techsoup.org* <http://Techsoup.org>, it looks like the
> current non-profit pricing is $234 per year for 1 organizer and 25
> attendees, and up to 100 attendees for $474 per year. (Their pricing has
> fluctuated quite a bit. When we did the joint virtual meeting, it was only
> $94 per year for the 100 seats. They then jumped to $495.)
>
>
>
> AdobeConnect is available through *STC.org* <http://STC.org> for
> $100/year plus $.025/minute per user for dialup. We're also exploring use
> of Periscope to livestream meetings.
>
>
>
> *Techsoup.org* <http://Techsoup.org> is a great source for discounted
> products for non profits. Terry Smith (Carolina) and I had put together a
> signup packet a few years ago, but I don't know if the process has changed.
>
>
>
> Ben Woelk
>
> Rochester
>
>
> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>
>
> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
> available on Amazon Kindle.
>
>
>
>
>
> *Connect with me on social media:*
>
>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#!/benwoelk>*
>
>
> * Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Christina Mayr <
> *christinaemayr at gmail.com* <christinaemayr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> We use GoToMeeting with great success. Almost all of our monthly programs
> have a virtual option. Although the technology has a few bumps from time to
> time, by and large it's worked out well for us for the last several years.
> I don't know if we pay anything, but if we do, it's a nominal annual fee.
>
> I would love to see the other chapters implement a virtual component
> because there are SO MANY interesting programs happening at other chapters
> that I cannot attend (e.g., Northeastern Ohio's technical illustration
> program coming up, but it seems to be onsite only).
>
> Regards,
>
> Christina
>
>
>
> [image: photo]
>
> *Christina Mayr*
> Technical Writer & Editor | President, STC Carolina
>
> christinaemayr at gmail.com | www.stc-carolina.org
>
> <http://linkedin.com/in/christinaeftekhar>
> <http://twitter.com/cseftekhar>
>
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:14 PM, President STC-PMC <
> *stcpmc.president at gmail.com* <stcpmc.president at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben
>
>
>
> We had a virtual meeting for our kick off as in-person was not possible
> due to the team's varying schedules. I put together a very detailed agenda
> that introduced team members, set expectations for roles for the year,
> covered talking points on which we could make decisions that will impact
> our work on during the year (including content covered in the CAA), and
> covered my goals for the group for the year. I set up the meeting with
> Adobe Connect but found that I couldn't share my screen. We ended up having
> a blend of meeting types where I shared my screen via another tool and used
> Adobe Connect for audio.
>
>
>
> My biggest issue for a virtual or combined event (in-person and webinar)
> is having a tool that gives audio and visual access while also supporting
> up to 12 people on a call. Free tools like Skype can't do this, and Adobe
> Connect doesn't seem to have the features I need.
>
>
>
> Please let me know if I can provide further details or help in any other
> way with this discussion.
>
>
>
> Jessie Mallory
>
>
>
>
> Jessie Mallory
>
> STC-Philadelphia Metro Chapter President
>
> *president at stcpmc.org* <president at stcpmc.org>
>
> *www.stcpmc.org* <http://www.stcpmc.org>
> [image: www.stc.org] <http://www.stc.org>
>
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM, <
> *stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org>> wrote:
>
> Send Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list submissions to
>         *stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         *stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss-request at mailer.stc.org>
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         *stc_presidents-discuss-owner at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss-owner at mailer.stc.org>
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Stc_presidents-discuss digest..."
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Program Manager Idea Sharing (President STCNE)
>    2. Re: Program Manager Idea Sharing (Ben Woelk)
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: President STCNE <*president at stcnewengland.org*
> <president at stcnewengland.org>>
> To: Michelle Despres <*michelle.despres at gmail.com*
> <michelle.despres at gmail.com>>
> Cc: "Presidents' Email List" <*stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>>, STC SIG Managers List <
> *stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org* <stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org>>
> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 11:23:01 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Program Manager Idea Sharing
>
> Hi, Michelle, and everyone.
>
>
>
> We have used Adobe Connect for the past few years to broadcast our
> programs as webinars.
>
>
>
> We make the speaker the presenter, so the speaker's slides are broadcast.
> The speaker uses a headset so Adobe Connect can broadcast the speaker's
> voice.
>
>
>
> This provides a minimal, kind of clumsy webinar. It only works for one
> speaker, not for panel discussions, because multiple headsets are a sound
> nightmare. Only the slides are shown, so there is no image of the speaker
> or the audience. The speaker's headset mic does not pick up the questions
> from the audience so the speaker must remember to repeat the question, or
> be interrupted and prodded to do so.
>
>
>
> We are looking into more sophisticated equipment that can handle multiple
> mics and, at least, a shot of both the speaker (or panel) and the projected
> slides.
>
>
>
> FYI, we charge $15.00 per webinar, and this money often makes the
> difference between our programs losing money and breaking even. We operate
> on a shoestring budget, so breaking even is a good thing.
>
>
>
> --Nancy
>
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Michelle Despres <
> *michelle.despres at gmail.com* <michelle.despres at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello:
>
>
>
> We don't really have a kick-off event. Our council had its annual strategy
> meeting last week.  We discuss programs and other chapter initiatives.
>
>
>
> Our first chapter meeting is in September, and we're doing a networking
> and peer showcase event.
>
>
>
> Our biggest struggle this year will be finding adequate meeting locations
> within a reasonable commute for members. Our new initiate is webcasting our
> meetings. If anyone has had success webcasting, please let me know.
>
>
>
> Michelle
>
>
>
> *From:* Ben Woelk [mailto:*ben.woelk at gmail.com* <ben.woelk at gmail.com>]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:51 PM
> *To:* Presidents' Email List; STC SIG Managers List
> *Cc:* *michelle.despres at gmail.com* <michelle.despres at gmail.com>
> *Subject:* Program Manager Idea Sharing
>
>
>
> I would like to connect with whoever is planning programs for your
> communities with the goal of getting us to share effective practices,
> innovative program ideas, and strategies for overcoming challenges we may
> face.
>
>
>
> I'm working on setting up a forum/wiki, but I'd like to get the
> conversations started. Please contact me at this email address or
> *programs at stc-rochester.org* <programs at stc-rochester.org>
>
>
>
> What are you all doing for kickoff events?
>
>
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
> --
>
> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>
>
> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
> available on Amazon Kindle.
>
>
>
>
>
> *Connect with me on social media:*
>
>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#!/benwoelk>*
>
>
> * Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> *Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
> *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Ben Woelk <*ben.woelk at gmail.com* <ben.woelk at gmail.com>>
> To: President STCNE <*president at stcnewengland.org*
> <president at stcnewengland.org>>
> Cc: "Presidents' Email List" <*stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>>, Michelle Despres <
> *michelle.despres at gmail.com* <michelle.despres at gmail.com>>, STC SIG
> Managers List <*stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org*
> <stc_sigleaders at mailman.stc.org>>
> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 12:23:03 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Program Manager Idea Sharing
>
> Our distance learning department suggested getting a Snowball mic (~$60).
> That's improved sound quality, and should be configurable for a small panel
> discussion. There are also panel mics available, but they're a bit pricier.
>
>
>
> The hybrid in-person/virtual meeting is always a little tricky and depends
> a lot on the location. For a speaker at an in-person meeting that's being
> shared virtually, I'm not sure it's an effective practice for the speaker
> to be wearing a headset. It may make more sense to have a facilitator wear
> a headset and repeat questions to the speaker. Either way, it's a good
> practice for speakers to repeat questions. (Frankly, it's easier if the
> speaker is an online participant and not in physical attendance at the
> meeting.)
>
> Ben
>
>
> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>
>
> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
> available on Amazon Kindle.
>
>
>
>
>
> *Connect with me on social media:*
>
>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#!/benwoelk>*
>
>
> * Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM, President STCNE <
> *president at stcnewengland.org* <president at stcnewengland.org>> wrote:
>
> Hi, Michelle, and everyone.
>
>
>
> We have used Adobe Connect for the past few years to broadcast our
> programs as webinars.
>
>
>
> We make the speaker the presenter, so the speaker's slides are broadcast.
> The speaker uses a headset so Adobe Connect can broadcast the speaker's
> voice.
>
>
>
> This provides a minimal, kind of clumsy webinar. It only works for one
> speaker, not for panel discussions, because multiple headsets are a sound
> nightmare. Only the slides are shown, so there is no image of the speaker
> or the audience. The speaker's headset mic does not pick up the questions
> from the audience so the speaker must remember to repeat the question, or
> be interrupted and prodded to do so.
>
>
>
> We are looking into more sophisticated equipment that can handle multiple
> mics and, at least, a shot of both the speaker (or panel) and the projected
> slides.
>
>
>
> FYI, we charge $15.00 per webinar, and this money often makes the
> difference between our programs losing money and breaking even. We operate
> on a shoestring budget, so breaking even is a good thing.
>
>
>
> --Nancy
>
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Michelle Despres <
> *michelle.despres at gmail.com* <michelle.despres at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello:
>
>
>
> We don't really have a kick-off event. Our council had its annual strategy
> meeting last week.  We discuss programs and other chapter initiatives.
>
>
>
> Our first chapter meeting is in September, and we're doing a networking
> and peer showcase event.
>
>
>
> Our biggest struggle this year will be finding adequate meeting locations
> within a reasonable commute for members. Our new initiate is webcasting our
> meetings. If anyone has had success webcasting, please let me know.
>
>
>
> Michelle
>
>
>
> *From:* Ben Woelk [mailto:*ben.woelk at gmail.com* <ben.woelk at gmail.com>]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:51 PM
> *To:* Presidents' Email List; STC SIG Managers List
> *Cc:* *michelle.despres at gmail.com* <michelle.despres at gmail.com>
> *Subject:* Program Manager Idea Sharing
>
>
>
> I would like to connect with whoever is planning programs for your
> communities with the goal of getting us to share effective practices,
> innovative program ideas, and strategies for overcoming challenges we may
> face.
>
>
>
> I'm working on setting up a forum/wiki, but I'd like to get the
> conversations started. Please contact me at this email address or
> *programs at stc-rochester.org* <programs at stc-rochester.org>
>
>
>
> What are you all doing for kickoff events?
>
>
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
> --
>
> Ben Woelk, CISSP
>
>
> Author of *Shockproofing Your Use of Social Media: Staying Safe Online
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMK4T2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OJMK4T2&linkCode=as2&tag=infosecommun-20&linkId=2Q4UZYWENIEEKVYG>*,
> available on Amazon Kindle.
>
>
>
>
>
> *Connect with me on social media:*
>
>    - *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ben.woelk>*
>    - *LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/benwoelk>*
>    - *Twitter: @benwoelk <https://twitter.com/#!/benwoelk>*
>
>
> * Follow my Infosec Communicator Blog <http://benwoelk.com/>*
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> *Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
> *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> *Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
> *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> *Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
> *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> *Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
> *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> *Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
> *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> *Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org*
> <Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org>
> *http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss*
> <http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list
> Stc_presidents-discuss at mailer.stc.org
> http://mailer.stc.org/mailman/listinfo/stc_presidents-discuss
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailer.stc.org/pipermail/stc_presidents-discuss/attachments/20150817/70269f18/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Stc_presidents-discuss mailing list