[Stc_presidents-discuss] Fwd: Re: Bookkeeper? Bank accounts? Credit unions?

Ben Woelk ben.woelk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 02:29:54 UTC 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Ben Woelk" <ben.woelk at gmail.com>
Date: Aug 24, 2015 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Stc_presidents-discuss] Bookkeeper? Bank accounts? Credit
unions?
To: "President STCNE" <president at stcnewengland.org>, <tmesposit at gmail.com>

Hi Nancy,
As far as I know,  Rochester has never had a paid bookkeeper.

We try to pick a qualified member and hope he or she serves 2-3 years.

The nomcom vets the candidate.

We've had issues twice that I'm aware of. 1. We had a member who didn't
deposit checks and just didn't perform the duties. Our president picked up
the materials and either kept the books herself (she was a former
treasurer) or got another council member to help.
2. When I was VP, we had a treasurer who was intimidated with the 990N, and
I worked with her on the filing. (The 990N takes about 5 minutes and
doesn't require any financial background. )

When we started using eventbrite for programs, it removed most of the
hassle for the treasurer because we chose to direct deposit the receipts.

Our current treasurer is in her 2nd or 3rd year. She's a classic ISTJ, and
is ideal for the position.

The treasurer duties are straightforward and not as daunting as they may
seem. There are a couple of required filings at the society level, and the
rest of the work revolves around program receipts and occasional purchases.
The office or STC treasurer helps as needed.

Find someone in the chapter who's comfortable with finances, maybe a small
business owner, and ensure that someone else on council checks their work
occasionally. Make sure the get the two chapter filings done with the
office.

Tim Esposito would be able to add some insight about the requirements.
Ben
Hi, everyone.

Our paid bookkeeper, who has worked for STC New England for 12 years, is
leaving us in December.

We must learn everything we can from her in the next four months, while
also referring to the *Guidelines for STC Community Treasurers*, published
in March 2011.

My questions to this list are:

   1. Do you have a paid bookkeeper? Are you happy with the relationship?
   2. If you don't, but rely on an STC chapter member, do you keep that
   person on year after year?
   3. If you have frequent turnover, how do you handle it? How do you find
   qualified people?

If you have any particular advice or godly admonitions for us, lay them on
us!

Thanks.

--Nancy Allison
STC New England