[Stc_presidents-discuss] Chapters Using Meetups

Jeffrey Kreger latechwriter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 06:41:45 UTC 2015

Hi, all!

We use Meetup for the Los Angeles chapter. In general, I really like it as
it provides effective and very simple-to-use tools for managing invites
(RSVPs, cancellations, announcements, and so on) for all of our upcoming
events. It's a real time saver for that sort of stuff. I think we pay $45
every 90 days, so if you know of a cheaper option, let me know.

I do recommend that you set up a list of questions to ask potential members
that are looking to join your group, as well as enabling the ability to
approve members. What I've noticed is that we get a lot of 'drive by'
members -- that is, people that have no idea and probably no intention of
ever exploring a career or attending a tech comm meetup -- but they join
instead because it sounds cool (perhaps), or they just want to chat up
someone on an off topic subject. We have a few members like that, and some
appear quite spammy. Just sayin.

Other than that, I give it a thumbs up -- we've attracted a lot of new
faces to our events through Meetup.

Thanks,
Jeff

--