[Stc_presidents-discuss] Join Us - STC CAC Webinar: What is Ethics?

liz at lizherman.com liz at lizherman.com
Thu Oct 12 12:57:05 UTC 2017

Please join us for a webinar on Friday, October 20, 2017 at 12:00 noon EST.

Registration is free for all STC members!

About the Webinar, “What is Ethics?”

When we talk about ethics, we often do so in a very general sense. “Do the right thing,” seems to be a general perception of what it means to be ethical and, as a result, any meaningful discussion of personal or corporate ethics often seems stagnant. If we all just did the right thing, we wouldn’t have personnel issues, arguments over corporate rights, concerns over privacy issues, or any other problems—unless, of course, we all have a different sense of what is right.

As members of the Society for Technical Communication, we operate under a set of six ethical principles. This webinar explains how those six principles; legality, honesty, confidentiality, quality, fairness, and professionalism, work against the larger backdrop of ethical theory. This webinar teaches the fundamental components of ethical decision making, and introduces different types of ethical theories. We conclude by looking at how we can operationalize the STC’s ethical principles, and how our organizational ethics can be of professional use in our workplaces.

Our speaker is Derek G. Ross, PhD, Auburn University Department of English, Master of Technical and Professional Communication Program

To register for this webinar, go to the STC website: https://www.stc.org/event/free-stc-member-cac-webinar-ethics-interpreting-ethics-stcs-ethical-principles-can/

Please pass this notice on to the members of your chapter. We encourage all to attend!

YIS,
Cindy Pao
Associate Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication

“A stone is broken by the last stroke of the Hammer; This doesn't mean that the first stroke is useless; Success is the result of continuous effort.”